Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse\scrolling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf96

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
US
An unimportant question, but am curious. I bought Warcraft III and my system meets all the specs except the 3D video card (16M recommended). So the graphics are rough, understandable. What is not understandable is why the mouse is so sluggish and the scrolling of the screen spastic. Everything works fine in other heavy duty applications. Hard to believe that a video card would have any impact on mouse\scrolling??? P3-450, 384M ram win98SE.

It doesn't surprise me. When you move the mouse, it doesn't just go right to the monitor. It has to go through the whole chain of events, such as the game processing those inputs, calculating where your cursor should appear within the screen, and sending that info onto the video card, which is already overburdened trying to display the normal visual data the runtime processes of the game generate. Scrolling is even a bigger burden for a video card, as the nomally static view of the game needs to be redrawn much quicker than normal to display the moving landscape.
Games really demand gobs of video memory. You'd get a lot better performance in them with half that RAM and a higher quality 64+ MB video card, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back