Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse not starting, cursor gone after installing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1kerch1ck

Programmer
Nov 22, 2001
US
Hi everyone,

Last night I tried to view Japanese Yahoo so downloaded the software (eval version) from the site recommended on Yahoo.

After installing, rebooted computer, then NO MOUSE and NO CURSOR on screen! Device manager says 'Device cannot start (Code 10)'.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling, even reinstalling Windows (keeping settings), no luck. Windows detects mouse so yes it's plugged in! McAffee says no virus.

I am now using arrow keys/shorcut keys to get around. ARGHHHH!

OS = 2k pro
Mouse = PS/2

If anyone knows what I should try next, please let me know! I will be so grateful.

Try booting in safe mode and see if you get a mouse.

Hi, thanks for the response (fellow Mainer!)

OK, here's what I've tried since the posting.

Tried safe mode, no mouse.
Then, I wiped the C: drive and re-installed Windows. At first, the mouse was back!!!! However, after re-booting following install of NIC driver, mouse and cursor were gone again.

I am completely at a loss now. I read some other threads about altering the system.ini file, but not sure I want to mess with it unless I'm sure of what to do.

Should I just go and buy a USB mouse and try that??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Did you re-format before you re-installed windows or just re-installed windows?

I deleted and re-formatted the C: drive.

Make sure your mouse is plugged in firmly. Also turn your mouse over and see if there is a small sliding switch marked
MS<->PC. Does this mouse have a PS/2 connector that has a serial adapter on it?

Hi,

Thanks again. There's no switch...I'm not sure what you mean by serial adapter, but it's just an ordinary scrolling mouse with a round plug with six pins.
I'm sure it's plugged in OK since it worked and then stopped working again after reboot.

Reinstall the mouse software that came with the mouse, if any,or try running hardware wizard. If all else fails you might just try a new mouse. Hope I have helped any.

Thanks, you did help! I'll try re-installing the driver again. If that doesn't work, I'll try a USB mouse tomorrow.

Possibly an IRQ addressing issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back