Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse is freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XWalrus2

Programmer
May 27, 2002
US
Every few minutes, my mouse freezes for no apparent reason. Once it has happened, the freezes seem to come in clusters. Sometimes the system speaker makes a beep, sometimes it doesn't.
I haven't installed any new hardware recently, and I'm running XP sp1a.
Specs:
Duron 850
Nvidia Vanta 16mb AGP
256mb RAM
20gb Hard drive

It doesn't seem to matter what programs I'm running, it just happens randomly. Two or three times, the mouse has stopped responding completely, so I had to reboot the system. What is my problem and how can I fix it?

Reseat all cards and the RAM making sure they are fully seated, and check that all connections are secure.

If ok, then remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan.
If that fixes things, then the system is overheating.
Consider installing an additional case fan or 2, one in lower front of the case and the other in the upper rear(or top).

If it's not overheating, then se if the problem happens in Safe mode.
If not, then do a clean boot to troubleshoot it:

If the problem also happens in Safe mode, then d/l and run Memtest-86 to check the RAM.

I would suggest you also run an ANTIVIRUS programm and Spybot Search and Destroy aswell as AdAware...

then deinstall the mouse drivers, per Hardware Manager, and have XP reinstall them, I would also suggest that you run a system check (SFC)...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back