Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

countymounty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2003
US
Iam working on an HP Desktop computer that I think the motherboard is shot. When powering up the blue power light comes on momentary and then it is like the system goes into sleep mode. Nothing is ever displayed on the screen no sounds are made and the lights on the front of the computer change color just like when the system would go into sleep or hibernation.

I tried a different power supply and got the same results. So this is why I am thinking that the motherboard is shot.

Is there anything I can try to make sure? Or anything else I can rule out?

Thanks for your help.

Try Clearing CMOS, if it was in SLEEP MODE and PC was turned off, this is one of the symptoms...

also check if the FSB jumpers (if there are any on the MOBO) are set correctly, that the HS-FAN is plugged in correctly and functioning... might also want to unhook any IDE device from the mobo and test if it POSTs...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Does the PC beep when you power it on? If so, count the beeps and check the MFG website for the BIOS software to define the beep codes.

If it doesn't beep, then you have a hardware failure somewhere.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back