Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modem - telephone connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigger123

Technical User
Mar 19, 2004
I have only one phone line. Previously I connected my modem via an adapter plug to connect to the Internet. This involved unplugging my regular phone and plugging in my modem. Recently I bought a high-speed Internet modem cable, which plugs in to the back of my ‘tower’ then directly to a phone line extension (with my regular phone in tandem), so that I would not have to keep changing plugs. But upon inserting the modem into the phone socket my telephone rings constantly. Any ideas? Help greatly appreciated.

Please clarify a couple things.

1. " Recently I bought a high-speed Internet modem cable" Is this just a cable or a device?

2. Can you restate how things are connected right now? "plugs in to the back of my ‘tower’ then directly to a phone line extension (with my regular phone in tandem)"

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Sounds like your new 'cable' is wired incorrectly for your modem. All you need is a 'splitter' on your phone line.

Andy.

Ok, sorry for taking so long to reply but I’ve been a bit busy lately.
First off: Matt J

1) It is just a cable. One end fits directly into the back of the ‘tower’ going to my modem, and the other fits directly into the phone line.

2) I want the computer to be connected as stated above into my BT phone line through a 2-way splitter (as Andy suggested) and the phone to be connected in the other end of the splitter. I can plug the phone into the splitter and it works fine, but when I connect the computer into the other end of the splitter my phone rings constantly.

I use a HCNR56K voice modem

He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back