Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem software keeps reappearing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry

Programmer
Jul 18, 1999
US
I'm running Win95.<br>
<br>
I uninstalled my original modem (PCTel HSP Micromodem 56) and installed a new Cirrus CLM Data Voice Fax, 56k modem.<br>
<br>
I wanted to go back to my old modem so I uninstalled the Cirrus, took the modem out, and put the PCTel back in. When I restarted my computer, it said something like:<br>
'New hardware found: PCI communications device.<br>
Windows is locating the software...' and identified it as the Cirrus CLM Data Voice Fax modem. It won't let me completely remove the Cirrus!<br>
<br>
I've tried the following things:<br>
1) Made sure all files which the Cirrus installation put on my hard disk are gone,<br>
2) Deleted every key in the registry (which I know nothing about) which had anything to do with the Cirrus,<br>
3) Searched the hard disk for files containing 'Cirrus'.<br>
<br>
It still id's my PCTel as the Cirrus. This doesn't mean I can't install my PCTel, however, it just means that I always have to cancel the installation of the Cirrus modem before I can get any other modems to install.<br>
<br>
If anyone can tell me how to completely get rid of that modem, I'd greatly appreciate it.<br>

You might try "right-clicking" on the "My Computer" idon on your desktop; then clicking on "Properties" in the dialog box that appears; tehn looking through your "Device Manager" listings for the modem...if you find it: remove it...if not; I'd have to be sitting at your computer for maybe as much as 2-3 hours to figure out EXACTLY where the problems are coming from......may even require edits to system.ini, config.sys, autoexec.bat, win.ini, etc.<br>
<br>
-Robherc

Windows 95 is funny like this. Sometimes you have to delete the .inf file that sets it up. The file will be located in WINDOWS\INF\OTHER.<br>
<br>
If you have deleted it and it still does this, I agree, I'd have to sit in front of it for a little while.

I would also try booting into safe mode by holding down f8 while booting or doing a ctrl+alt+del during the 98 splash screen which will prompt you to boot into safe when it gets to that point again. then do into the device manager and remove all the modems/modem enumerators/and com ports which should take care of it. while you are at it you might also want to take a look at your other devices and make sure there arent multiple devices installed under say &quot;monitors&quot;. alot of times regular windows wont show you all the devices just the ones that are being used. so thats what i suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back