Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messy forms opening 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOR

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
GB
I have a form that is set with modal=yes, popup=yes, docmd.maximise when it loads, but its like watching a pig trying to fly when its opened from the desktop. First the Access logo flashes up, then the Access Forms/Tables/Reports dialogue section appears with toolbars at the top of the page, and then my mainform appears almost sideways (little exageration) until its in position. Looks very naff, any ideas, thanks

Take a look at thread702-798009.

Basically you can run forms that appear to operate alone, without a access window. The form is maximimized but access is hidden or minimized. I think I have some better code as well. Query "hide access window" on this site or google.

You can use Tools, Startup to control whether the database window is displayed on startup or not.

You can control the Access splash screen by using a bitmap with the same name as your db file, in the same directory. For example, if your application name is Taxes.mdb, your bitmap file name would be Taxes.bmp. Put it in the same folder as your application. To look like no splash screen, choose a 1pixel x 1pixel bitmap or a bland/unobtrusive colour.

[pc2]

Thankyou, Thankyou. Missinglinq I followed your link and used the concept, however i think in reverse. Seems much smoother if you open the next form and then close the form underneath afterwards. Only hope however my forms opening stays in the order it's in. Majp, I tried the example but it created a worse form display/appearance. Might be because I am on XP, and early code, don't know, but I gave it a miss but thanks. Majp, I like toys, breaks up the MS stress, like it and will use it somewhere. Thanks again

Still slow opening forms. I created a blank form as a startup form. It takes nearly 4 seconds for the page to load from Access2003 loading its bit. Never had this with Access97, whats wrong. I have turned off as much as I can see, thanks

Just tried back converting to Access97. All the forms open like a bullet, no display problems, project works. So does anyone know why Access 2003 is so dreadful in speed? I would leave it in Access97 version but MS finished it. Are we all going backwards? Thanks

Have only worked in Acc2000, but I would venture a couple of guesses as to the problem of slow loading, assuming that a loading time of < 4 seconds is really slow. One, I kind of think anytime you convert from one version to a higher version (and you've moved up not one but two versions) of any program, you're going to loose some speed. And two, Acc2003 is much more complex than Acc97 which may make it a tad slower.

The other thing I can think of, which may have not been available in Acc97, is auto name tracking option. What this does is to constantly monitor changes made in object names, and makes sure if you change the name in one place in an app, it changes everywhere in the app. It sould be used during development but switched off after that.

Go to Tools -> Options -> General. Uncheck the Track_Name Auto Correct Info box.

The Missinglinq

There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!

Thanks, but I have unchecked all those options. I did the design in Access2003, and downconverted it to Access97 to see what that would be like and it flew compared to Access2003? If there was a way to overide the caption "Do you want to convert or open database" I would be happy, in other words use a 97 database that would open up quietly on a new version. Sounds tupid that that would suit me in these circumstances. Other bi mystery/hassle. If I go on the internet and come off, and then open the project holding down shift to get Access bits, it keeps asking me if I want to open my Home Page, that there are 33 items in it?. I have to play around for a while until it behaves. I have even tried turning off wireless connection in case MS Access is wandering off on the internet. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back