Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Merlin Legend Operating Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD5150

Programmer
Aug 25, 2004
US

Being that this is basically a computer, right? Is it safe to keep this unit in a hot room?

We're probably going to buy one of these units soon. Not sure of the model or release version yet, but the phone/electric room is where we are planning to keep it. And it can get quite hot in there. During a heat wave, you can barely stand it sweating bullets in there. It has a big PG&E transformer sitting there buzzing away putting out a serious EMF I'm sure.

What do you think? Is this risky?

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds risky to me. The system needs good ventilation flow from top to bottom. The quoted operating range temperature-wise is 40 to 104 degrees F. However, the OPTIMAL operating temperature is 60 dgrees F.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

It is also NOT recommended to place the system near any equipment that generate electrical currents, especially strong ones - because of interference. Sounds to me like you you need to run your phone wires somewhere else.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Hot Room - BAD

Cool place - GOOD

I was once asked if a Legend could be mounted Sideways, that is, with the modules laying horizontal.

My answer, backed up by the design folks at Bell Labs was, "Only with properly cooled and ventilated air".

The response from the Captian of the US NAVY SUBMARINE was, "No Problem, I'll have an engineer place an air conditioning duct right in there"

So, if you can make that happen, GREAT.

But Again, I must say, "FIRE BAD"!!

That's the confirmation I need, thanks. We're super tight on space in our building, so the guys won't like the idea of putting this someplace else, but I'm going to recommend it since we're also tight on money and they won't like having to replacing any fried modules!

Thanks for the input,

Mike

Trust me, HEAT WILL KILL THEM!

-OR- Heat will make them die when you really need them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back