Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Making a Bootable CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcumbers

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2009
US
Hi and thanks for looking in.

Having not made one before, I need to ask.

I need a bootable CD that is the IBM ServeRAID Support CD (v7.12) for a Windows Server 2003 machine having an IBM ServeRAID 5i card controlling 4x 73.4GB drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

One of the drives is defunct and I can't boot normally.

I have:
1.) a ULTRAISO DVD Writer for creating the DVD.
2.) I downloaded 32r2741.iso (IBM ServeRAID Support CD) from 3.) NTDETECT.COM & NTLDR off the Windows 2003 Server DVD.

I just can seem to create the DVD. I don't know what files I am to extract from the iso package (or even if I'm supposed to do that), nor how to construct the image I am to burn. ULTRAISO saves the files you indicate into a NEW ISO image for burning. Hence, do I put 32r2741.iso inside the NEW ISO image?

Some guidance in creating this bootable DVD will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The iso file you downloaded should be burned to a CD.
If your IBM system has a DVD, you may burn to a DVD. Many older systems have CD Drives and, of course, the DVD would not booton those systems.
I'm not familiar with your burning program. You should have the option of just burning the iso file that you downloaded. The ServRaid iso, once burned to the cd will boot without any additional files. In fact, it is a linux boot that brings up ServRaid when you burn the iso properly. No need to have any NT files.

Thanks maultier,

Successfully downloaded and burned ISO image of IBM ServeRAID Manager.

Server booted to CD and I am running Manager.

Now to figure out what's going on....

SEE TREAD:

"IBM x235 DEFUNCT RAID drive issues and questions"

for continuing saga.

This tread closed.

Thanks all who read and thought about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back