Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mail dir and files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headmaster

Technical User
Nov 27, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm setting up a server, and have chosen sendmail as my mail server. I've set this up before without any problems, but now I'm having some issues.

I can see the mail messages, but can't get the messages to show in any mail utility, or send with qpopper.

Where is the default mail dir? Currently, the messages are going in to /home/username/.maildir/new with a long filename. I can read them with a text editor. When I configure webmin to look in that directory, it says there is no mail there...

This is probably something simple... Any suggestions!

BTW, gentoo is my dist. Love it so far. This is my first issue | not gentoo related though, stupid admin issue probably.

The mail dir you are looking in is used by the mail client. By default, mail comes into /var/spool/mail. In that directory you should see files with the names of all your users. If they haven't received mail yet, their name will not be there. This is the directory that most pop3 servers are configured to look in when a request comes in. If there is nothing there, make sure the directory exists and that it can be written to. The owner should be root. The group, mail and permissions set to 775.

You need to configure qpopper to tell it that INBOX is in $HOME/.maildir instead of /var/spool/mail/$USER. I don't use qpopper so don't know how difficult (or if possible) that is, but I know for a fact that all of the following can be configured that way:
1) courier-imap (does pop as well)
2) cyrus-imap (does pop as well)
3) dovecot (don't recall if it does pop)

A buddy with ISP experience tells me that the answer is in this:

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back