Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro/Scheduler problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

saira78

Technical User
Jan 14, 2003
CA
I have something strange happening on my Scheduler. I have created and successfully tested a macro to run a report and export to an Excel file. When run manually or from CognosScript Editor, it runs without a hitch. When it is on the Scheduler, the result is 0 rows.

Why would this be? Could it be a timeout issue? The report generally takes between 8-12 minutes to run depending on the number of transactions. The exported file is being saved into a network drive.

I have other macros that do the same thing and work fine.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Saira

Does the report automatically retrieve rows? If not, either change it to do so, or add a .Retrieve method before the export to Excel.

Other than that, I have no other ideas on this one yet.

Good luck,

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

It is set to automatically retrieve rows :-(

I'm so disappointed! I thought macros would be my answer to successful automation of my daily report runs :)

If you have any other ideas...

Thanks,
Saira

Hi,

What database type do you extract from ?

Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 on an RS6000 running AIX 4.3.3 and I should mention that we are using the Oracle drivers, not the ones provided by Microsoft.

Thanks,
Saira

How about using the AT Dos command to schedule your macros instead of cognos scheduler?
Also - try using a UNC instaed of a mapeed network drive.

I have also seen strange things happen in the scheduler when running macros. Try using a User DSN entry for your catalog source if you're not doing so.
hope you find a solution.

hsqamar,

Interesting suggestion. We are currently using system DSN. What is the relevance to the problems in the Scheduler or is it just one of those things that was accidentally discovered?

Thanks. I will give it a try.
Saira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back