Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine crashes when playing any game

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalpencil

Programmer
Apr 8, 2001
GB
Hi,
i've got an XP box used for playing games that keeps crashing after 5-10 mins playing any game. All other activities are fine which makes me think that it's either the graphics card or something software based like the direct x engine.
The problem i'm having is that when it crashes, it completely crashes. I can't bring up task manager so I can't diagnose the problem. I've opened it up and its covered in dust, especially the graphics card, so I'm cleaning it out with compressed air, see if that helps.
I've tried uninstalling all games and reinstalling one but that hasn't alleviated the problem.
If anyone has any ideas on how I can figure out what's gone wrong with it, i'd be really appreciative for the advice.

Thanks

Set your hardware acceleration on the graphics card to none and see what happens. If that significantly lessens or stops the crashes, the card is bad. It could be bad even if that DOESN'T change anything, of course, but it's one test I've found effective sometimes.

Lee

I would hazard a (loose) guess at the problem being overheating. Does the graphics card have a fan on it? Is it still working? How does the CPU fan look?

As a test, try leaving the side off the computer and playing your game. Just to see if it lasts any longer before crashing.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back