Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M1250 vs M2250 Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael OConnor

Programmer
Sep 26, 2017
US
Greetings!

I have an Option 11 and I need a Console. The M1250 and the M2250 look pretty much the same. Can someone tell me the difference? Will they work with an Option 11? When you unplug the handset on either, that will put the system into Night Mode...right?

Thanks!

Any help is always greatly appreciated.

Best,
Mike

Dear FS,

I need a console for the Option 11/Church install. They look pretty much the same. I didn't even know Nortel made two types. I could have used a M2616, but I like the fact that you can't hang up on the Operator and all the ICI keys are a plus. Plus it looks a lot more impressive than what they have now

A while back, I installed a console using a Cat 5 Jack along with an adapter for the console. There was a little work involved in getting the TN's and the Power to the proper pins but in the end, it worked out pretty well for a nice clean install. Hopefully I can do the same thing with the Church.

Thanks for writing!

Best,
Mike

M1250_Console_niwkk3.jpg

M1250_Console_2_hm88gs.jpg

You won't be able to use an M1250 on an Option 11, as they're only compatible with SL-1 Line cards. The M1250 is designed to be functionally equivalent to the analog QCW4 series of consoles originally introduced with the SL-1 platform in the 1970s, while the M2250 is a digital console designed for use with the ISDLC on SL-1 systems and the Digital LC on the Meridian and CS1000 systems that came later.

They're visually identical as the plastic housing is shared, but the M1250 connects to four hybrid analog 2-pair SL-1 circuits, while the M2250 connects to two 1-pair Meridian digital circuits. The M1250 was essentially introduced so that Nortel didn't have to keep manufacturing QCW4 consoles to fulfill maintenance contract obligations as SL-1 systems with a number of analog consoles stayed in service for quite a long time.

Unfortunately there's no SL-1 Line card available for IPE/Opt11 shelf slots. So you won't be able to make it work.

Attached is a photo of a QCW4 for those who are curious.
QCW4_gd2rxg.jpg

Dear phonebits,

Thank you so much for the clarification. I was poised to purchase the thing on eBay even going so far as to put it in my cart. Fortunately with your information and the unresponsiveness of the seller, I will empty my cart.

The SL1-ST is what I started with way back in the 80's. I took over the Chris Ridge Village Senior Living account back in 2000; they too had an SL1-ST. In 2006 they purchased a CS1000. I urged them to opt for a second cabinet and moved the 300 residents onto the switch with non-sequential DID's. The fee for each resident was $25 and was included with the rent. Now they are making an extra $90k annually. LD49 came in very handy. I put all the apartments in the 3XXX block and the Hospital rooms in the 4XXX block. When residents would get sick and move to the Hospital side of the complex, I'd use the IDC table to move their number... from home. Love that LD49.

Thanks all for writing!

You saved me from a $200+ mistake.

Sincerely,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back