Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Layer Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasethewind

Technical User
Oct 29, 2004
US
Working in 2006 and Windows 2000 Pro. When I try bringing up my layer manager the CAD background freezes like it's there somewhere, but I can't see it. Can anyone help me find where it's at?

I have a couple of questions so I can better understand your situation:

-You said the CAD background freezes. For how long? Do you see you crossairs/ pointer at all?
-Is this behavior typical of any drawing you are working in or just specific drawings?
-Did you use the REGENALL command? This has been a known issue within the Autodesk website where the screen hasn't graphically updated. It can be a limitation of system resources or a limitation of the graphics card.

Let me know.

When we hit escape the background goes back to normal. The only thing we see is the pointer while the la command is active. REGENALL doesn't fix the problem. Thanks for trying.

Its a little difficult to determine what is going on. Need a little more info from you.

-Is the only problematic command layer properties manager?
-Is this behavior for every drawing or only certain ones?
-Is the dialog box shoved off to some corner? Happens quite often as silly as it might sound. Minimize the dwg in AutoCAD (not Autocad itself)and see.
-If you type either .la or .layer, do you get the same result?
-If you type -layer, can you see anything at the command line?
Have you tried running the AUDIT command in the dwg?
-You can try typing the INDEXCTL and at the prompt type 0.

While there is no specific known issue located on the Autodesk website, the suggestions above are some similar problems and their know solutions.

Best Regards

I appreciate all your help but my boss has decided to reinstall the software. You probably know how deadlines are. Thank you again.

Ok. I understand. For the next time, you may try instead of reinstall is a repair.

Go to add/remove programs
select Autocad and select change
Select reinstall or repair
select repair errors or repair registry
And follow the rest of the instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back