Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loop occurs in a single table

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkmonsteruk

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
GB
I've just come accross a universe design issue which i haven't attempted before, so was wondering if anybody had a solution.

Basically i have a table called Person, the primary key of this table is PersonID, and it contains all details relating to an individual. Within the table is a column called LinkID, which will relate to another person in the same table, basically if a person is linked then the linkID will be the same as a PersonID within the table.

I was gonna get around the issue by inserting an alias of the table and linking the two fields together as normal (LinkID=PersonID), is this the best way of handling this situation or does somebody have another idea??

Yes, that's the best way. A person has a manager. So, basically you have to have the table play multiple roles.

Employee and Supervisor requires 2 versions of the person table.

Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group
skrandel@baseconsulting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back