Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Logon script not running unless Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey36

MIS
May 23, 2005
GB
It's just come to my attention that one of our Windows 2000 (professional) machines does not execute the domain logon script when the user logging on does not have administrative rights on the machine.

However, if I log on as a non-admin user and start up the command prompt, I can successfully call the script from there.

I just don't have any idea where I should be looking to attack this problem, I've been having problems googling for the specific situation.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction?
All help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Monkey.

Hmm.. I think actually that it is all of the W2K machines that are not executing the logon script unless the user has admin rights.

I'm sure this wouldn't have escaped my notice until now! But I can't think what I could have changed.

This is not a problem on any of the Windows XP clients.

Ayone with any pointers??

Cheers,
Monkey.

is it trying to create or modify files that users don't have permission to?

No, it's not. I've further convinced myself of this because if I wait for the logon to complete and then open a command prompt, I can run the script successfully from there. Also, if the same user logs on at a Windows XP machine, then it runs successfully.

??

are the paths correct? if you are calling something in c:\windows in XP, for win2000 normally its in C:\winnt...

have you tried adding a pause to your script to see if it will display an error message when run?

No, the script is on a network share on the server, so it's the same from any PC. It's a batch file - executed but not displayed. It must just not be running at all, as it will leave a log file to say its executed and re-map network drives.

??

Confused!

It might be looking locally on the machine, instead of the server for the batch file, or items the batch file calls...

You could try copying the batch file locally to a 2000 machine, in the same path as it is on the server, and see if the domain policy then executes it...

Are you able to temporarily display the batchfile to debug it?

If possible you could create a new computer ou and toss a test machine in and apply the script as a policy, but don't hide the script and toss a couple pauses in so you can see what its doing...

Is this being called from a domain group policy?
are the computers on the same subnet?
What is the script trying to do?

I have had some instances where bhunji suggestion works very well. try haveing the script copy to the local temp directory and then run it.

RITec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back