Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Locking a CD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishguy730

Technical User
Dec 28, 2005
US
Is there a way, thru software settings, to prevent a CD drive from opening and operating in a Windows XP OS?

You can disable it in Device Manager. Rightclick the device, select 'Disable'. The drive will still open if you push the button.

Or you can disable it in BIOS. It'll still open as long as it has power.

What would keep it from opening? I work at a school district where most PC's are donated from state agencies that surplus their equipment. I'm going thru about 15 PC's now that were donated and more than half of them the CD drive won't open. That seems like much too high a percentage to have a problem like that. That's why I was hoping there was something in the software I could check. The device manager says the device is working OK.
HELP!!!!!!!

Lol, working for a "state agency" I can tell you that "surplus" does not mean "extra", it means "obsolete or broken".

I'd bet those drives are simply broken. You could always try them in a known good pc.

irishguy730, have you checked to be sure that the "non-working" drives actually are connected to the motherboard of each their respective computer, and that they have a power connection from the power supply?

The light comes on when I hit the button, so I assume that there is power to the drive. But I haven't actually checked the connection inside. I'll try that.

Some older CD Drives use a belt to open the drawer. I was given a CD Burner that wouldn't open. I manually opened it and used a rubber band to replace the belt. It worked but was sold before I had a chance to find a more suitable belt.

wunkunn said:
It worked but was sold before I had a chance to find a more suitable belt.

You sold a CD Burner with a rubber band in it instead of a standard belt? I hope this wasn't sold from a business! If so, what business is that?

kjv1611
The Burner was sold by an individual to another individual who knew what he was buying!

Ok.

Shew! That's better than what I was assuming from the context. [wink]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back