Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

loading os on built computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tybee

Technical User
Sep 24, 2001
US
I have gotten to the point where the screen reads "missing operating system" and then the there is no more that can be done. Just how do I get the startup to read the cd drive with win 98 disk? Do i need to set BIOS to first read CDROM instead of the current floppy? Thank u paulwood and Mosaic1 for your earlier help on this same topic...I have now gotten to the point of having read the bootdisk from the floppy and stand ready to load OS.

Hey Tybee, the Win98 bootdisk won't really let the system boot from the CDROM drive even if the option has been set in the BIOS. The drivers for the CDROM drive has to be on the hard drive and configured in the autoexec.bat and the config.sys files.

But I have created a few files that will let the system boot from the CDROM drive without having the drivers or even configuring the files. What these files do is, create virtual drivers that run in memory while you install the OS.

If you'd like these files send me your email address and the type of CDROM drive (name/manufacturer and/or model) so I can modify the files and send them to you. I'll also outline the steps that you need to follow.

--Azarey--
Azarey1@netscape.net

Thanks Azarey. I'm looking forward to receiving your instructions. Email has been sent. Tybee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back