Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Live Communications Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybarty

Technical User
May 3, 2002
CA
We are looking at testing Microsoft LCS for our communications for the help desk. Has anyone used it and have any input?

Works great. One of our clients use it and we/they've never had any problems with it.

Great solution for inter-office communcation, especially if you are governed by HEPA regulations.

Sorry I didn't provide more inforamation. Was there something specifically you had questions about?

Hello!

Today I have installed the Microsoft LCS 2005 and Microsoft Communicator 2005. Everything works ok except that there the Outlook Calendar and Communicator are not syncronised, meaning, if i put the meeting a the current time, it takes dozens of minutes to syncronise with the contact status, is is normal?

could not find the requirement, but should LCS be loaded on a member server and not a DC? We've done some preliminary testing and can't get LCS to start, loaded on our lab DC. errors out stating can't initialize the stack etc.

I have looked at the quick lab setup published by msoft and they have a whole test domain setup with DNS etc. Is this necessary for testing this product

In fact, I have installed
* On computer A (which serves as a client and a server):
- the Microsoft Exchange Server,
- the LCS 2005,
- the Windows Messanger,
- the Communicator 2005

* On a computer B (the client only):
- the Communicator 2005

I connceted Computer A and a Computer B with a specific cross cable.

Everything works fine except that syncronisation between the Microsoft Outlook Agenda and the Contact's status on a Communicator 2005.

I do not know how to resolve this problem. Maybe there are some default parameter in a Exchange Server or LCS 2005, but I do not know where to look for this information.

There are about 15 minutes since the modification of Outlook Agenda, the status to really display the real modifications.

If anyone could help me.

Thank you a lot.

Our setup will be for our local office to use but our email is managed through corporate office. Will LCS have to be set up by the corporate office because they manage our exchange?

Billy - I don't know the details of your environment but it sounds like you will need to get corporate involved if you want it to be seamless. During the install you must extend the schema for AD and that requires some powerful accounts. However, you can do this in a test lab and have all your users point to that. That will require modifying the host file on each PC (or a DNS entry - not sure how much control you have), installing / maintaining a separate forest / domain, and the users must log into communicator client using the other domain’s credentials. This setup works fine for a pilot group but is too much of a PITA to manage for a production environment. You might want to give corporate a call...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back