Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Listener Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorntone

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2001
US
Hi, we're running Oracle 8 on NT and have recently observed an odd problem. Only a couple of client machines are having problems. As example one of them is running Crystal reports against the Oracle database. These reports have successfully run for months, but now fail. If you run the Easy Config and test the connection, it fails:
"The Test Did Not Succeed
ORA-12224:TNS: no listener"
The service ORACLETNSListener80 is running on the host server, and other client machines are not experiencing the problem.

I can then run SQL Plus on the same client machine successfully, then the test in Easy Config works, and the report runs also.

The next day, the same situation recurs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Earl

I would first try to decide if this is an oracle-related problem or a non-oracle-related problem. Is the problematic client machine running identical Operating System software as properly running clients? (NT 4/2000/95). If NT do you have most recent service pack installed (6a)? Are the networking protocols installed in exact same manner as properly running clients (dhcp,dns,wins,lmhosts/hosts)? Sounds like sporatic network connectivity. Have you replaced the network adapter? Cabling? Can you configure a completely new client with success? Is anything (software) being loaded upon startup on problematic client that is NOT being loaded on properly running client machines? Can you tnsping/tnsping80 the database with success? If you are using tnsnames.ora to connect, is the file version/size/modified date the same on both good and bad clients? What about SQLNET.ORA?

-S

A common problem I ran into on Unix with this type of message focused on incresing initsid.ora sessions or /etc/system parameters or increasing swap space (virtual memory). The latter just worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back