Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Linux keeps dropping network connection, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnkp

Programmer
Oct 25, 2000
US
I jhave Mandrake 7.2. I have a DSL Connection wich works beautifully and I shareit across my home network with one other computer. I use squid to proxy (seems to work better than ip masq) and it does it's job well. After a certain time of inactivity the connection stops working.
I have done ifconfig and all seems well. Also network status shows good but I can't ping the other computer and she can't ping me.
If I restart the network script everything goes back to normal until the other computer is inactive for a period of time.
I am sure it is some setting I am missing. If anyone could help. I am not so good with the GUI stuff and am more comfortable with shell script.

Thanks in advance!

Make sure that hte power managment is not turned off on teh network card of the remote computer. This will put the NIC to sleep if there is no activity, and it will shut down. This is probably your problem, just go in the bios and disable power managment, and do it in the control panel (if it's windows) if it's linux, stop apmd.

MWB.

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back