Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Link / Sync HTC One to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeGustaXL

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Hi

I have an HTC One running Android 4.4.2, and a Windows 8 PC (laptop) with HTC Sync Manager installed.

When I connect the phone to the USB socket on the laptop, I'm hoping to be able to browse the files on the phone, but this never happens. Either:
1. HTC Sync Manager says that it is "searching for files for the first time" and that this "may take several minutes"; or
2. Windows Explorer shows a new folder named HTC One which is either empty or gives an error saying that this hardware was not installed properly.

Is it possible to connect an HTC One like an external USB drive? If so, how? If not, how can I transfer files between it and my laptop?

Chris

Someday I'll know what I'm donig...damn!

Try Airdroid
Put it on your phone. Start it up on your phone: it will give you an address. Type in the address on your browser on W8 and you should be able to see most of what is on your phone.

Wow. I've yet to hear of an android phone that didn't just show up without any software. Have you tried connecting WITHOUT the HTC software? Sorry, just now seeing this.

(I've got a very limited experience on Android phones: older Android phone, forgot name right now, Defy XT, and Moto X) The first phone was by LG, last 2 are by Motorolla. In all cases, I connected over USB and saw the full file structure.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

My Samsung Galaxy S4 when connected to Windows 7, defaults as a media device, and I can then use explorer to browse folders and files on the phone. You don't need any software to do this, Windows will see the phone as a new USB device and should go out and find the drivers and install them. You can change the way the USB port on the phone acts, but I won't go into that. Basically look up APX mode if you need to change the USB port, but only if you want to load a modified system on the phone. XDA-Developers is a great place to go about Android phone support and issues. Sub-forums are divided by phone model and carrier.

You know what, that last post reminds me there is a setting - check-box for USB mode in Android. Basically, it switches between controlling the device from Windows, useful for running applications for modifying the phone from the computer side to just being a media device so you can browse files. I'd tell you where I changed that setting before, but I don't remember very well. I know if you look up how to root a device, you'd likely find some instructions that included mentioning that setting.

I just looked on my Moto X running Android Jellybean, but not seeing it anywhere. I wonder if it's hidden on some phones or versions of Android. Then again, it wouldn't take much to hide it from my eyes some days. [blush]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Set android for USB in developer settings. You may have to activate them if you haven't already. Check manual for how to if needed.

But I think you need to set how phone connects to the PC. Set it to "act as disk drive" and then plug into PC. My Computer should show smartphone as a new drive.

think

Oh yeah... USB Debugging mode is what it's called in many android devices. You get to it under Developer options... and how you do that depends upon the model of phone but mostly on the Android build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back