Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Licensing for Access through Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gixonita

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2005
US
Hi All,

We have installed Sql Server 2005 with a 5 CAL user licenses (we are a relatively small company). We are developing a website that will allow users to query one of our databases. The website uses in it's connection string only one User Name that was specifically created in SQL Server for this purpose, but here is where I'm in doubt..... if I have 30 "visitors" using the website and querying the database but using the same User Name, will that count as that I need 30 CAL or am I ok? (Take into account that the website does not open a constant connection, it creates it to request information, receives it and then closes the connection)

Any help will be appreciated :)

Luis Torres

A user CAL is for the user, not the login to the database. So if you have 30 users, you need 30 CALs, even if they all use the same user name and password.

However, many (if not most) places that have a SQL Server installation being accessed by the web license the CPU's instead of CALs. This is because obviously you don't know how many or sometimes even who your users are. This is much more expensive than a few CAL's. I'm not sure if you had it locked down so that you only had 30 unique visitors if it would be OK to get 30 CAL's or if you would be required to get CPU licenses for the web. I would suggest calling your Microsoft rep to see exactly what licensing you need for your exact scenario.

So, for small databases, it would be much easier and painless to use SQL Express since it's free. Or pay a small fee to a hosting company for shared database hosting. Or check out the new SQL Server 2008 Web edition if the cost is in your ballpark.

Another thing to be sure of is that if your Operating System which houses the server needs any additional licensing for the web.

Here's a great licensing FAQ

Thanks for your input, I will look into your suggestions :)

Luis Torres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back