Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

legend or magix ds1 test. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PETC8263

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
I am trying to find a way to perform a back test on the DS1 module.Can someone help me with a simple effort approach.Thanx..

What do you mean by a "back test?" You can busy out the card and perform several different tests. This is accomplished in SPM through Maintenance --> Slot --> enter the slot #. From there you should see different testing options. I believe the Merlin Magix with an INA or DCD module might have more testing options that a Merlin Legend with just an older 100D module.

Does this help?

We have a problem with a new T1 and an existing 100D module in a Merlin Legend. The carrier came out and attempted to test the card and stated they had no carrier. Can the card be tested in that fashion without previously having been busied out prior to them hooking up their equipment to the plugs on the face of the module?

Not really. You can do the internal loopbacks, and get an "idea" of whether or not the card is good, but you will not know for sure until you connect. If, on the other hand, you had another DS1 card, and carrier, you could set up a "mobile test unit", and then "test" the card.

Pepperz@charter.net

So the tech they sent trying to test the module the way they did was not a true indiciation of a layer 1 issue? They indicated that they felt the card needed to be replaced.

I argue the point because it worked up until that point on the p-to-p and also was never removed from the system.

I assumed the issue was in the way they configured the circuit but they are pushing for us to get a new card.

Customer was pushed into the T-1 and they aren't going to easily accept getting a new 100D.

zeromeg,
If this is in reference to your previous post, the problem may be your 'protocol'. The Merlin will only work with 'Custom', NOT National.

If their switch is a 4 or 5 ESS THEY must be set for 'AT&T Custom'.

If their switch is a DMS THEY must be set for 'NTNAPRI' and set the L1 Flags in the Trunk Sub-group tables to 'Yes'.

Was the tech who came out able to test with the CO, making and receiving calls at the RJ48 by your switch?

When you changed the function of this card, did you re-program it or just plug it into the new circuit.

It would be helpful if you could post a printout of the T1 and PRI setups.

franke

Here Verizon owns all of the wire although there are plenty of people providing services. The service provider sent their tech and he made calls with his equipment plugging into the smart jack. He tried to plug into the IN OUT pins on the 100DCD with the circuit plugged into it and nothing.

He felt the issue was layer 1 not layer 2 based on that test. I was arguing that if they setup the circuit as Custom instead of NI-2 that perhaps it would then work.

At first the circuit was simply just plugged into the module. Then we reconfigured the board in programming to match their settings but in selecting PRI I couldn't specify Custom or National.

I set the frame, suppression and type but that was it.

The board is a 100DCD 617S15. I removed the board from the system to try and test it an another system. I even though of configuring a whole system with the board and bringing it to the site to test with instead of interfering with them.

They are a busy car dealership don't want to be interrupted during business hours but nobody wants to come before or stay after hours either!

Who is the provider?

Do you have errors on the T1 card?

Menu > Maint > Slot > T1 Slot # > Error Events > Current/ Or Last Hr or what ever > DOES THIS SHOW ANY SLIPS, MIS FRAMES, ERROR SECONDS or WHAT?

IF the pipe is clean then it's a set up error between the two systems.

Considering the DS1 card WAS WORKING before, I doubt that the problem lies with it. Especially since it's the newest one they make!

Answer these questions and lets see what we have.

Provider is PaeTec. It showed errors. I'd really have to put that card back in and have them turn up the circuit again to give you the list of errors. They would only turn the circuit up for short periods of time when we couldn't get this working.

No longer connecting between two systems. We are strictly connected to the PaeTec T1 for voice channels.

Given a bit of a push I believe that PaeTec is tweaking the circuit to be a true T1 as we instructed them to configure it and I'll put the module back in and try again. I'll note the errors then and post them.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back