Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just Built Computer - Now serious problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJpn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
In my other post I said that I was having problems with sound. So I changed sound card and disabled onboard sound in BIOS and it worked fine. Then while I was installing Counterstrike (a game) the computer froze and there was a long, non-stopping beeeeeeeeeep. When i tried to reboot, the second the desktop started to load it did the beeeeeeep and froze again. In startup again BIOS starts up and says computer hung because of improper CPU speed but I have all default settings except onboard sound set to default. (The CPU speed is set at 1100) Everytime I try to reboot now I get the beeeeeeep and freeze at the load of desktop. Whats going on!!!~~~~

Specs
WindowsME
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
ASUS A7V266-E /w audio /w RAID
512MB RAM

Hi,

I'm still in the Windows 98SE stone age so I'm not sure on this one.

It sounds like your driver got screwed by the program. Perhaps it was trying to talk to the sound card direct rather than using the windows driver. It may have tried to communicate with your onboard sound chip instead of your installed card.

Does windowsME have a safe mode or a mode where you can specify what drivers you load. If so try loading it up in safe mode and remove the sound card from the system, then boot up in normal and then reinstall the driver.

If you don't have safe mode in ME
Try re-enabling the onboard sound chip through your BIOS, remove your sound card and reboot. Once Windows has removed the drivers then plug it back together and reinstall the drivers for your sound card.

Touch wood it should work. If not try another soond card.
Any Help, Yes/No let me know

Regards

Removed sound card - problem solved - wohoo!

Change the CPU setting from [Manual] to [Standard].
The BIOS will detect your processor and set the clock multiplier and CPU frequency to the correct settings.

(11 x 100) is not correct. It should be (11 x 133).
Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back