Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isolated server after Remote Access Config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogen

Programmer
Feb 12, 2003
CA
Hi There, I asked a similar question in the VPN forum but it wasn't the main question (I asked it in an already existing thread), but since it has to do with Remote access I thought I'd ask it here.
I want to setup a VPN for my office server, but I'm having problems with the Routing and Remote Access. Before configuring and starting Routing and Remote Access, the server can ping out to the LAN and internet. As soon as I go through the steps for starting a VPN through Routing and Remote Access, the server can no longer ping out to anything .. even to the router. Please help. One thing I'm unsure about is whether I need to use 2 nic cards on the server, or if 1 can do it all.

yes with MS operating systems and VPN, you need a dual homed system ( 2 nics ). The endpoint of the VPN is the server, all accessible machines must reside behind the VPN Server. It acts as a proxy.

me at home ------- VPN Server --------- connected server

you might want to look at some VPN Appliances if your firewall doesn't support VPN connectivity, but putting a back door into your network to circumvent the firewall is a security issue.

Thanks for the reply david902, but if the VPN server is isolated after I configure Routing and Remote Access, and I put all accessible machines behind it, then none of the office machines have internet access. This is what I would like (which goes with what your saying I think).

me at home----internet---office router----office vpn server----office switch---office client machines

The router I have does support VPN, and I can forward port 1723 to the server IP address, but after I install routing and remote access, the VPN server does not see the internet (or even the router).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back