Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my modem dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy1

Technical User
Mar 13, 2002
US
I have a pctel modem and lately it has been connecting at 19 kbps. Now I'm connected at 12.0 kbps. When I hooked up my laptop and dialed into the same number at the same time and I connected at 26.4 kbps (that is the normal speed).
Is my modem dying and if it is what is the best one to get?
I have windows xp, 1.1 proc., 40 gig hard drive and a 56k. Tyngsboro, Mass. doesn't offer DSL or Cable.
Any help would be great,
Cindy
[ponder]

Cindy,
I think you'll discover your ISP has several routers that handle traffic when you're hooked up...each with its own speed. After you connect, disconnect and reconnect...noting the speed. Did it change? (different router)
RATHER consider if you think it's running slow.
Sometimes the software (Windoze) tells me I hooked up at such and such a speed...and sometimes even the slo ones (mine will usually connect 40K and higher) will run fast.
So, I guess to sum it up...naw, I doubt your modem is dying.
Such is life in the boonies!

I had a similar problem i was only connecting at 19.2 or sometimes 16.8 but it would on occasion connect at 22.3, for the most case its random and speed that windows tells you isn't alway accurate. You only connecting at 26 or whatever on a 56k modem is mainly due to the quality of the phone line you are using. If you have 2 lines try connecting with the other line. This may help since not all lines go the same place in router boxes to the telephone company. Hope this helps.

The last two replies are accurate. You'd expect a 56K modem to connext at 56000 bps but thay would be an ideal. There are things like cables to take into account.

I normally logon at 56447 bps, but if I put an extension cable in, I get 50667 bps. Therefore you can see the effect of a cable producing some kind of resistance.

I use EASYMTU by Rob.Vonk@cmg.nl to help with my connection speed. It's free, but I sometimes get problems with graphics (only getting placeholders instead of graphics, which might be my ISP).

Hope this helps

Phil

Hello Cindy,

As to your last question, USRobotics has the generally strongest rep and higher prices. I have had good luck over the years with seven Zoom modems, as an alternative for saving about half of USR prices.

I have not had good results from some other brands including Lucent and Cardinal, however that could have been one-off problems and not general ones.

Funny thing, now that I consider it, I've never had a modem go bad in over ten years...thru about 7 or 8 (maybe more) brands in machines I've owned/operated.
I take it back...one was hooked up to the phone line and took a thunderbolt...and yeah, that one fried the motherboard, too. (but the modem didn't fail on its own)
After that, I connect thru the surge protector, for all the good it does!
(Need to sell the SO on getting a UPS, huh?)

Windows usually does a pretty good job about changing the MTUs (max transfer unit)altho it didn't mine... for a 56k modem it should be 576 (if i remember correctly) and 1500 for a cable modem. Those are optimal numbers on ideal conditions. These things can be changed in either 3rd party programs as ANTIMBIBEPHOBIC has said he uses or you can modify the registry *not recommended for normal users*.
Cindy1 in your case i'd just leave it alone, theres not much you can do unless you have a second line and its better or you complain to the phone company about the line quality (good luck on getting results with that).

You could try a low pass filter on the line. It sometimes helps. They knock noise and radio frequency interference off the line. They cost about $10.00 at radio shack. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I will try the filter, right now I'm connected at 26.4 which is good and it's a Saturday night! Go figure! This is my second line that is the slower one we got it for the fax and internet. Thanx for the help I will keep you posted.
Cindy

Final Update:
Well I decided to call the phone company because when I picked up the phone I could hear static on the line. I thought maybe that would cause my modem to be gimpy. I called last night and this morning I saw the verizon truck outside my door. It must be a slow season for repairs because I'm connected at 21.6 and that is normal and much faster than before. I can tell by the speed in which I surf the net. Thank you for all your help,
Cindy
[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back