Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

irq problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

casamensa

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
GB
im using windows me and have a prob
my soundcard is very "crackly" it uses irq 11 but so does the nvidia graphics card. I suspect that these are conflicting but cant change the irq settings, the soundcard works fine when no graphics are being used, eg when playing an mp3 in media player the first few seconds are fine until the graphic interface kicks in.
Please can someone help me with this, its driving me crazy!

Hmm I know a guy who had the same problem. The only apparent solution is to change the IRQ setting for your sound card, how come you can't change it? Maybe there is a utility for your Sound card that can change the irq on your driver CD or the manufacturers website.

Hmm, you don't say what op system you're using or what soundcard is fitted... Quite often in the BIOS you can elect NOT to have the video card use an IRQ. In Win98 for example, you can reserve certain IRQ, I/O, DMA and memory settings. If you can't, or don't want to stop the video card from using an IRQ, why not try reserving IRQ 11 and maybe force your video to use another one?

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Hey man

Try turning off the plug and play support in the bios then you should be able to change the irq's :)

Later
Neo81

Is the soundcard PCI or ISA? The pc's bios allocates interrupts for PCI cards. If it's ISA then you may be able to reserve an interrupt in the bios so that it is not used by PCI cards

I know someone who had irq problems with his NIC and display adapter (both on irq11). The problem was resolved by taking out the NIC (and all associated drivers)and putting it in another slot, forcing windows to re-recognize it and re-assigning it to another irq automatically.

This might need to be done several times with your sound card until windows gives it a non-shared irq.

My WinME system runs fine and I have 8 items sharing IRQ11, 6 on IRQ5.. IRQ 5 has my GF3 Video, SB Live, TV Tuner Card and PCI Steering twice while my IRQ 11 holds the NIC and several other items. I tried to change IRQs and even removed and changed PCI slots with the SB Live and TV Card and they always go to 5 with the video.

I have been working on a new setup for my FIC AD11 with an ATI Radeon VE video card and WinME put several things in irq 11, but I noticed that IRQ 11 has several different ranges of memory addresses it split the IRQ up in and none of them overlap. I also noticed it doesnt matter what setting I use in the BIOS for the Plug and play or auto assign; Windows still doesn't let me change the IRQ settings. I think ME is kind of screwy that way. I think if it wasnt that the video card works better in ME, that I would try Win98. what happens when you reserve an IRQ? Can you reserve an IRQ that is being used and force windows to change it, or do you have to uninstall hardware first? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back