Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommishuck

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
US
Hello everyone!
we have been having a lot of bottle neck issues and the boss has asked if there is a way to track employee's internet usage with out have to purchase any additional software or hardware. what I'm looking for is a way to see who is on what sites when we start to bottleneck so that we can address the issue with that person(s).
I'm sure there is a way in server 2k but I'm just not finding anything. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks a million.

Yes and no, it depends on how your internet access is configured. From a software aspect, if you use a proxy/isa or other kind of internet gateway solution, then you should be able to track users usage. If not then the short answer is no. However, no doubt you will have firewalls which should log traffic data going out to the net from which you can analyse web usage. It is also possible to attain such data from dns is your dns server is configured appropriatly. Neither method is absolutely conclusive but should help to narrow down the cause of your bottle neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back