Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

internet connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

daren33

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2001
US
Here is my problem: I am using DSS satellite high speed internet access. I have three computers running Windows 2000. They are connected via a SMC7004AWBR router. The problem is the output of the sat modem only has an usb adaptor preventing me from hooking it into the router. Can I share out the internet connection from the pc that the modem is hooked into? How? Thanks, Daren

Yes you can. Right click on network places and the sat. should be a connection in there. Right click on the sat. connection and there is a sharing tab. Check share and then configure your other machines to use the sat. machine IP address as their gateway to the internet and all will be good. I have that setup in one of my offices and it works just fine.

Thanks for the response! Do I need any gateway on the sat machine? Can I use static IP's on the other machines? Do I need any DNS settings? Thanks again for your help! Daren

I have mine setup----these are all private Ip's
sat machine 192.168.0.1
workstation1 192.168.0.2
workstation2 192.168.0.3

Use in the gateway 192.168.0.1 on workstations.
Dns settings you could get from the DSS people they should be able to tell you what they are. Might work without you just have to give it a try.

Also in the internet explorer on each workstation go to connections then lan settings and on proxy put in
192.168.0.1 port 83 then click on advanced and make sure***only Http Uncheck all others and delete out any settings.
On the sat machine it will be 127.0.0.1 port83
This should get you sharing and connected let me know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back