Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet Connection Sharing on Win2K Adv Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devaughn

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
I guess I can say that I'm new with this server business, but have a pretty good idea how it works. One question that I have about it is if I can distribute internet access to clients on my network with about 12 computers and one server with two NIC cards.

I also have a d-link router, that I don't want to use if I don't have to. I prefer for the server to handle all IP distributions.

At present, I have the router going to the hub/switch, and all other computers plugged into the hub. The computers would only access internet if the DNS address is set to the IP of router, but it makes logging on harder. I would sometimes get the response 'The Domain "Domain name" is not available'. I fugure it should be easier if I must point them to where the internet source is, then the internet should be shared by the server.

Also with one server acting as DNS server, Domain controller with AD, how should I configure my IP?
Should the IP address of the DNS server configuration be the same as NIC 1 or not?

If so can anyone please assist me with this?
Just need someone to guide me in the right direction.

Thanx.

Firstly I think you need to check out your acronyms...

You keep mentioning DNS but I have a feeling that you are actually talking about 'default gateway'(DG or router).

If you own a dedicated router it will always perform better than a multi-role server.

Your workstations will need the following information to work properly...

1. IP address
2. Subnet MAsk
3. Default Gateway
4. DNS server IP address

Martin Trew

Devaughn,

go to my site, and you wil find an article about NAt and one about proxy. Internet Conenction Sharing will not work in your case. Also NAT in you rcase should be done by the router, and DNS name resolution done by your DNS server, that will have as forwarder the DNS router from the ISP.
About this DNS settigns you will find also on my site an article about relation DNS external/internal.
I hope that those articles will help you and all other people looking for such solution.
Success!

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back