Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Internet connection flaky

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxwk12

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
US
This just started yesterday. No changes have been made to the network or client at all. All throughout the day our internet connection will go down but only at the client machine. I can ping out from the server, I can get to websites from the server. But when I go to any client machine, I can't get anywhere until I release/renew the IP. I have rebooted the cable and dsl modems and their respective routers. Still goes down during the day. Just in the last few hours, it has been doing it constantly (every 10 mins or so). Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

Sidney

Sounds like a DNS issue. If it can't see a local DNS server it tries to get one from the www. I have a PC that will only work if the DNS is looking at 213.1.119.98

Tez

When I first saw my camera we just clicked

I was thinking maybe a hardware problem since there were NO changes done to software or hardware at all! Maybe a bad router? Anyone have a Linksys router go bad on them?

Sidney

yeah linksys routers can be really crappy. Netgear is a lot better.. but only if you spend the money to get a decent one. Spend at least $100 on one. I've had four linksys routers go out on me in a row. And it's always a internet connection problem. You can log into it and everything just no internet connectivity... but yeah I would say your router is probably going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back