Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interface tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

silks101

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
GB
we have installed a new sdsl line with Pipex - their guidelines have suggested that the dialer interface should be set to "ip address negotiated" however we have been assigned a range of ip's one of which I want to use on the Pipex router as we will then be able to route traffic out of one of our three internet connection (specifying which traffic goes out which connection) this also gives multiple options for backup routes should the primary one go down.

The issue is this

to enable any kind of routing through the Cisco 1721 to reach the internet I have had to assign an external address to a loopback interface (as I want the ability to nat therefore cannot use the internal int). however this causes problems as if the dialer interface goes down any backup routes do not come into play as the loopback is still considered up.

Is there a way of getting the loopback int to track the dialer or atm0 int and set it to a down state when the connection goes down so that our backup routes then work.

If you need any more info I can provide

Just out of curiosity, why do u want to use the loopback interface for your external address? Cant u use the dialer interface and nat between the dialer and local interface/subnet ?

grtz,

Fatty

interface tracking you can ydo with HSRP but I wanted to do it with two interfaces on the same router - looked at

with regards to Fatty 99

yes I wanted to do it that way but the LCP negotiation with PIPEX always failed so there was no other way of doing it, had to set it as ip address negotiated even though they had assigned us a fixed ip for the external interface of the router??!!??? the only way NAT was possible was to overload on the loopback interface, really poor set up

regards

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back