Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Install error...now on machine forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Microhard

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Ok, this is a little difficult to give exact discription of what is happening but I will try. We have a developer who is trying to track down a bug on a network broadcast issue using a netscan tool and printer interfaces such as a jet direct card. Anyway, she has a windows Professional 2000 workstation and a vanilla setup on her machine, even a fat32 partition.

Ok, when she installed this component she wanted, that would be the Microsoft Network Monitor component and she made one fatal and unforgiving error. While during the install at the end it asks you how you are going to monitor the network over which connection. She chose the one that defaults the the dialup connection. Even though she has no modem or dial up on her machine she was given this as the first cryptic choice for her to select. She accidently selected this and then she realized as she was trying to monitor that she is getting absolutely no feedback from the monitor. No matter what she does on un-installation, or deleting all the instances of SMS in the registry she is never prompted for the this question again.

I tried this on my machine and I was able to install, I saw the part come up with asking about which net to choose and I looked at the true/flase selections. I saw on the lower selection it said Ethernet true, so I selected that and now I have no problem sniffing the lan. I uninstalled my version and tried to get rid of every instance of it, and when I reinstalled it did not ask me either it defaulted me to the Ethernet setting.

So, my question is how do I get this friggen program to ask again what the default net settings are so we can set her up on Ethernet rather than dial up.

If you would like to see this you can see by opening up the Network Monitoring tool and look at the top of the window something like "Microsoft Network Monitor- [Ethernet\net\00e02975d060" will be at the top of the window. Her's says some thing like that but it is dialup like I said.

How do we get rid of this setting, or change it within the program to use a different net?

Thanks!

Ok....never mind it turns out that if you go to tools/networks in the Network Monitor you can switch it up in there.

Does not answer how this stupid thing hangs on to the original setup config...but at least it can be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back