Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inline/anchored graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggles

Technical User
Jul 27, 2002
AU
I feel an idiot for having to ask this question, but I had a mental blank today and couldn't figure out what had changed when I inserted inline graphics into text (diagrams etc that must stay with particular text) and the image positioned itself so that it overlapped the previous text. In the past, when I inserted an inline graphic, it positioned itself so that it didn't overlap any of the preceeding text.

Today they were all doing this and I had to go into the Object menu and apply negative baseline shift or *gasp* add lots of hard returns after the preceeding text to get the graphic to shift downward.

Have I changed a setting somewhere?

Check your settings under Object > Anchored Object > Options with the graphic selected. Sounds like you have it set to be an anchored object, instead of an inline graphic. Anchored objects can overlap text. Play with the positioning and the offset to get it to move where you need it or change it back to an inline graphic in the pulldown menu. Good luck!

grafixenter - the size of the graphic is irrelevant as the bottom of the graphic positioned itself at the bottom of the preceeding text.

Ekwoman - that must be it! I don't think I'd realised there was a difference between anchored and inline, and in fact never noticed any menu choices in the Object pulldown menu. Cross my fingers this is all there is to the problem.

Ekwoman - I have now had another occasion where I needed to insert graphics into text. And I have the same problem. I checked the Help files (CS2) and nowhere is there a differentiation between inline and anchored - in fact the Help files use the terms interchangably. So I still have the same issue - when I insert an inline graphic - it defaults to sitting on the base line of the line of text it is in, and I have to go into options and add sufficient Y axis offset (negative) to get it so that it doesn't overlap the text above it. In addition, I am not allowed to shift the graphics baseline by more than the leading value of the paragraph, so I have to add some returns to get taller graphics to clear the text it overlaps above. Am I still missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back