Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Include Text File in Report Header

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisTheMenace

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
US
I have a CR 10 report file.

Every time the report is run, I would like to include the contents of a text file (NOT Data in a .csv format or anything like it - but rather text. About 2 pages of straight up text - in no real structured format).

This text file changes, so I would like it to "read" the text file each time.

I have searched thru the forums, but don't see a simple solution? I have also tried to "link" the file w/ OLE but it simply shows up as a "picture" with the name of the file and not the true text contents of the file.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Dennis

=====================
Remember - YOU ARE UNIQUE!!!... Just like EVERYONE ELSE! ;o)

I haven't used this much, and not at all recently, but I think you have to go to insert->OLE object and then select the file and place it in the report header. What I was never clear about was whether it really got automatically updated, but you should be able to test that easily enough.

-LB

I tried that... but it shows up as a "picture" with the name of the file and not the true text contents of the file.

-Dennis

=====================

When you insert the OLE object, choose "create from file", browse to the correct file, and check "link" so that it can update. Then click OK. When I tested this, it inserted the content of the file. If I closed the report and changed the OLE object in the original file, the object in the report was updated when I reopened it.

-LB

I followed that to the 'T' and it still showed up as a graphic with the file name instead of the contents??

INSERT OLE OBJECT
(x) CREATE FROM FILE
BROWSE to the file
(x) LINK

When you run the report, it displays a graphic that says:
TEST14BATCH.TXT

You can resize this graphic... but no contents of the text file show up.

I have to be missing a step or a setting somewhere?!?

-Dennis

=====================

The Help section notes that certain applications only support a file opening in a new window, which appears to be the case with txt files, e.g., from WordPad. I tried it earlier with a Word document, which allowed the document to open directly in the report header. You could consider copying the text file into Word and then inserting the OLE object based on the .doc file. I guess that wouldn't be dynamic though.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back