Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improving SQL query speed between W2K server and AS400

Status
Not open for further replies.

aortrillian

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
FR
Basically, my problem is trying to improve the speed of an existing connection between our W2K IIS 5.0 server and our AS400 DB2. Even the simplest query takes about 15 seconds to make the round trip.

I rely on Client Access Express to handle my ODBC requests from my PHP code. But there has got to be a better way to do this. I have seen some commercial PHP applications connected to AS400s that had queries that were lightening fast.

Is there something besides Client Access Express that I can use to improve my query time? Or is 15 seconds the norm?

Its an AS400 V5R1m0 with DB2 (not sure of the version yet).

I would reccomend that you upgrade the client access software to the newer I-series access software.

This is IP only, but run much faster as there is no overbloated support for old technology.

This was a complete re-write of the older client access that has been around since conception in 1988.

Go the the Ibm.com website and serch fo I-series access

See if this speeds things up.

Other options involve ensuring that the as/400 is on its own port switch to the network and maybe even have a dedicated lan card for server traffic and another for User traffic.

Regards

Roger Pearson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back