Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HTLDR is missing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer4meok

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
CA
Hi hope some one can help me with this, I installed the latest update from Microsoft on my desktop,It asked me to restart,
Then I get this message,

HTLDR is missing
press ctrl+alt+del to restart

I can not get into my bios,or safe mode just get the message continually in a loop.???:-(

Please let us know if the advice we give is of some help.
Feedback will benefit all
Dave

Perhaps you mean NTLDR is missing? If so, boot to your Windows XP installation CD. After the files load you'll get an opportunity to do a repair using the Recovery Console, I think you choose "R". Once there, you'll need to put in the number of the installation, most likely 1, and then an admin password if you have one, if not, just hit "enter". At the command prompt, type fixboot C:
If your Windows is not on the C drive, just subsitute the appropriate drive letter. If this doesn't fix it, you have other issues.

I know this might sound silly, but many a people have come to me with this problem and every time it's been because there is a disk in the floppy drive.

If your computers BIOS is set to boot from the floppy first, then it will try and find no NTLDR on it and display this message.

Yes I did mean NTLDR,
Tried to repair from installation CD,did not work,
also changed the battery,thought it mite be that.
I don't have a floppy drive on that machine.
thanks, will keep trying

You could try ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console.

NTLDR is Missing:

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

You may be able to adapt this next MSKB to remove any faulty update via the Recovery Console, I don't see any particular update causing the problem, however stranger things have happened.

875355 - How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

Thank you Linney,

This article was most helpful

I'm not sure if it was the update or not,its just
makes me suspicious that after all the boots and reboots
that i have done on this machine.
It only happened after that reboot.

Thanks again
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor