Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP Laserjet III 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveImme

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
US
Printer has been pulling pretty good, but sometimes it has been pulling a big thick bunch of paper and thus jams cuz it will not fit through. I cleaned and lubed roller in front, but think maybe it is worn out and needs to be replaced? This printer has printed 60k sheets, not that many compared to our other HP LJ III's we still use.

Can someone tell me what part needs to be replaced/paid more particular attention to?

Thanks

Dave,
The pickup roller that you cleaned would be the best part to replace first. But, unless you know that printer very well, it's a bitch to remove/replace. Second, you can clean the cork strip (seperation pad) that is just under the pickup roller. You can access it from inside where the paper tray goes or by opening the top cover and then lifting the registration assembly's metal plate (closest to the front of the printer). It's a small, rectangular piece of cork that is meant to help keep the paper seperated. I recommend using Korkay solution. Warm water on a lint free cloth will work as well. Don't use alcohol on rubber or cork, it dries those components up where they should be tacky.
Hope this helps.

Shtick

Rollers and separation plate. If I recall correctly it was 4 screws to get the roller assy out and the rest of the parts fall apart once 1 drive pin on the gear is removed. Separation plate was a simple lift to unhook from a latching position.

Try an ebay search for HPIII and you'll probably find several dealers still selling the complete kit. Was about $13 when I last bought for my HPIIs. Kit comes with instructions.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back