Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you setup a network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletch

MIS
May 3, 2000
US
As simple as it sounds, I was wondering how to setup a network printer. I have the printers shared through the computer now, but if the computer isnt on then you cant print. How would you set it up so the printer is its own identity? Thanks.

First you need a JetDirect box - or equivalent - for the printer. This gives it "its own identity" on the network.

You can then set up an IP port on each PC that connects directly to the printer.

I hope this helps.

Can this be done of a freebsd box ?

If so, can someone direct me in some info.

-Danny

As long as you have a means to connect the printer to the network, and the necessary driver for your operating system, as long as you are running TCP/IP on your network you should be able to get just about any device to print to it.

Hope this helps

Note: Try one of the many FreeBSD websites and mailing lists

and they do have a unix version of the driver you may need to compile it. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back