Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get tasks spread out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidThi808

Programmer
Sep 27, 2004
US
I have a bunch of tasks in. I've assigned resources to them. But Project is assuming that each resources can work on 40 tasks at the same time and so they are starting all of them today.

How do I get it to realize that a resource can only do 1 thing at a time?

thanks - dave

Using Fixed Units and ensuring the default Effort driven button is checked in MSP-07, I made 3 tasks, 5 day duration, created a resource in the Resource Sheet and assigned that resource to each of these 3 tasks which all started the same day intially. As I went down the task list and assigned this same resource it automatically pushed each following task to the right.

Have you tried going to Tools, Resource Leveling to see if that works?

This is why they pay you the big bucks. You have to decide the predecessors and successors are. You enter those in the obvious columns. There is no way project can know what tasks can (or cannot) be done in parallel.

You could click on Tools > Level Resources, answer the prompts and click on "OK" but after you see the results, you won't make that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back