Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hostname question for 2 NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnisotank

Technical User
Aug 8, 2008
GB
Hi All, I have a server that has 2 NICs. At the moment one is not used but I have plans for it. I can go in to detail about why if needed but my question is..

the servers hostname is SERVER01 and the IP address is 192.168.1.1. I would like to enable the second NIC with an IP address of 192.168.1.2.

What I want to avoid is a PC connecting to SERVER01 through the second NIC. Reason is that I may be connecting/disconnecting NIC 2 quite a bit at the start and don't want people to have accidentally connected to it when they want NIC 1. Is there a way I can turn off hostname for NIC 2?

i.e if a user pings SERVER01 then they will never, ever get a reply from 192.168.1.2
Thanks
John

If this is a windows server in an AD domain, go into the tcp/ip properties > advanced > DNS tab > uncheck the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS

This is a Windows Server 2008 in a workgroup. Will that advice above still work?

Are you using a local DNS server to provide name resolution for local clients? You can try and disable netbios on that adapter or disable the "client for microsoft networks". Not sure which one will give you what you want as I don't have a system to test this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back