Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Webserver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaddio

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
GB
Hello All,
My first question this. I have 5 PC’s in the house (his/hers and the kids) one of which I use as a webserver. I built it out of spare bits following upgrades on the others. 3 of the machines are networked through a Netgear DG834G wireless whilst the other 2 (including the webserver) are direct attach.
The webserver is what I need assistance on.
This machine is an AMD2000 driven standard box with half a gig of mem and Windows XP Pro. I use Cintel webserver version 2.0 with Rocon MydynIP doing the dynamic IP update on Firstly, if I type in my site address inside my network it resolves to the admin oage on the Netgear router –why is that? I’m assuming it must be something to do which the router knowing the site IP address and not actually getting my request out to the internet.
Secondly, if I try to access the site externally I get in ok but following a site up date I only see the original. I’ve cleared out the cache and history but no success.
Anyone help ?

This sounds like something you should post to a software/networking forum. Does not sound like a hardware problem since you are connecting.

Well for your first issue, That can be a problem.. your computer knows your router address and thinks of your site as the same.. regardless of what port you are requesting from it. I had the same issue with my home web server. But I solved the issue. Don't ask me exactly why this worked because I don't know.. I changed from the router my ISP gave me to a $100 netgear/firewall router. It seems to work a whole lot better for other issues as well as this one. Now I can look at my website from the same machine I'm on. The second issue about the site not updating, that would probably be a software problem I never have used the software you are using. I own a copy of Windows 2000 Advanced server and it works wonderfully. I suggest you obtain one somehow.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back