Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help setting up Home Cisco Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

binaryops

ISP
May 2, 2004
US
I am wanting to incorporate my cisco routers into my existing Verizon FIOS (FTTP) network. The reason is I want to get proficient using my Cisco's as I'm studying for my CCNA certification. I have 3 cisco 2500 routers as follows:

2501 - IOS 11.0
Ports: E0/S0/S1

2504 - IOS 12.1
Ports: Token Ring/S0/S1/BRI

2514 - IOS 12.2
Ports: E0/E1/S0/S1

Here is my current setup:

Fiber jack --> Dlink DI-604 router --> Linksys wireless SRX router(WRT54GX). My Dlink does dynamic PPPoE authentication with one WinXP box hard wired to Dlink router. My Linksys SRX router is only an Access Point with dhcp turned off serving my wireless Dell Axim X50 pda. Everything works great with this set up, but as mentioned above, I really want to incorporate my Cisco boxes and I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I bought the Cisco 2514 because it has 2 ethernet ports, thus
thinking that will allow me connectivity to my Dlink and incorporate
all
my Cisco routers into my network. I've got V.35 cables connecting each
Cisco together on the Serial interfaces. I'm new to Cisco IOS and
really need some help accomplishing my goals.
Thank you for your time and look forward to hearing a response soon!
Binary

Well the one thing missing from your CCNA lab is a decent IOS switch. At a minimum, I'd look for a Catalyst 2900XL or, if your budget stretches for it, a Catalyst 2950.

With this Catalyst, you could then plug it in between your DLink (non-ISP side) and Linksys device.

Armed with AUI-RJ45 transceivers, you could then attach all your Cisco routers directly to the Catalyst.

Something like as follows:

Fiber jack --> Dlink DI-604 router --> Catalyst 2900XL --> Linksys wireless SRX router(WRT54GX) & Cisco 2500's

Excellent, thank you sir. I need to look into getting a 2900XL switch. I've priced them in the past on ebay and the 2950's are still a little out of my range, but I'll keep my eye out for one.

Thanks again for your help!
binary

I got to thinking, last night I bought a Linksys RV042 VPN 4port Router. I am actually now using that as my initial connected router and have taken the DI-604 out of the picture. Rather than buying a 2900XL or 2950 (which would be nice to have) can't I just turn my old DI-604 into a switch or even use the available ports on my new Linksys RV042. I've got enough of these low end routers to make them into a basic switch for purposes of incorporating my 3 cisco routers. Is this possible, or do I absolutely have to have something like a Cisco 2900?

Thanks again!
binary

There is nothing stopping you from using the built-in switch ports for your Cisco routers. Alternatively if you need more switch ports, any switch will do and can be cascaded via a crossover cable from the RV042.

I only mentioned the 2900xl as it would've completed your CCNA lab and would've been useful for further CCNP study as well.

Yea, I'd love to get a 2900 series switch from Cisco. Maybe soon. Thanks again so much for your help!

KiscoKid,

Will the Cisco WS-C1924-EN switch work as my switch to complete my CCNA lab? I found one on ebay for super cheap and I just can't see to get find a 2900XL or 2950 for under 300-400 bucks. I really don't want to spend that much. The 1924 is a sweet price and looks to be in good condition, but if it's not going to work, then I definitely don't want to buy it. I want to make sure it does VLAN's and the whole 9 yards that a 2900XL can do with a few exceptions I'm sure. Let me know please and thank you for your time!

Binary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back