Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP needed with disaster recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sircorp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2002
US
We had a server fail and of course we were having problems with the restore.(Don't ya just love when that happens). As our CEO and a whole bunch of other letters were screaming for email NOW. We installed Netware 6.0 and Groupwise 6.5 on a new server and recreated all of the users and accounts. So the problem we have now is we were able to restore the old email on a different server, but how would we get the email from the old restore to the new email accounts? Any help would be appreciated as this has been kind of thrown in my lap and I am not a Novell Guru (not by a long shot). Thanks in advance for your help.
Signed a desperate in'duh'vidual.

You have your hands full. If I were in your position I might try this approach. It will require some downtime, however. This is my first instinct, but I hope other posters will comment on it and correct where it fails.

1. Archive all of the required messages on the new server for each user. Later you will change the FID and bring the archived mail into the restored PO.

2. Whack the old groupwise objects.

3. Move the old Domain and PO to the new server

4. Graft the domain and PO into the tree

5. Re-Associate the GroupWise accounts with the user accounts in the tree.

6. Change the FID on the user's archives with the FID editor and unarchive the recent mail into the restored system.

Hi sircorp,
If you were able to restore the old mail on the different server (taking, that you can archive your old mail)I will take a different aprroach.
1) Archive all of the old mail
2) Use the FID Editor to change the old user's FID to the new FID.
3) Unarchive the old mail to the new mail accounts

If you cannot archive the old mail, then I would fallow sstoppel's advice.

Good luck,

P.S. After our server crashed and was successfuly rebuild after 3 days, we started to use Ghost to take immages of the server and then we restore the domain and po from the backup. After incorporating Ghost our last restoration of the server took only 15-30 minutes.

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back