Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Policy not Pushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester4281

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2002
US
I have a OU that I have a policy on, but it will not run on the users machine when they log in.

OU = Internet

Sets the proxy info to the required proxy.

The OU has a group within it called InternetUsers, the policy is set to the OU, but does not run when members of the InternetUsers log into their desktop PC, how can I push the policy?

Group Policy is a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't apply to groups. It applies to users and computers. So depending on if that is a computer or user setting, you will need to add the user or computer accounts to the OU.

You can filter GPOs by group. Using the permissions on the GPO object, you can apply multiple GPOs to an OU and then filter which groups of users inside that OU gets the policies.

I originally place a group labeled InternetUsers in a OU and was running the policy on that OU, no go that way. I have now placed it in the Domain level, running after the default, nether the default nor the intenet GP is running. Am I missing something ?

Application Log shows an error of:

Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return Value 17229

The System Log shows an error of:

Attempt to update host Service Principle Name (SPNs) of the computer object in active directory failed. The updated values were <UNAVAIBLE> and <UNAVAILBE> folliwing error: Could not find domain controller for domain.

Those errors are typically caused by DNS problems. Do you have the clients pointing to only the DC for DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back