Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G450 Networking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulcanccit

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2005
US
We have a new G450 installed here. I am not familiar with the inner workings of the device. It has one Ethernet connection to our core switch, but internally, the device has several IP addresses...(the CM, Audix, Utility, etc). How is the device able to seperatly ip those devices when there is only one physical connection? Is there a switch inside that uplinks out to port 5?

I would research the concept of an "IP Alias" for more understanding of how it works. This is very common though. I use it often on servers where I need an FTP or HTTP service to respond to requests on one IP, but another site on the same box responds to requests on ANOTHER IP.

To answer the question simply: Yes, it acts as if though all those devices are plugged into a data switch.

Thank you very much Randy, I will research that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back