Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G430 / G450 SLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodeddie01

Technical User
Dec 16, 2010
PR
Hi,

I have a question regarding the SLS feature, is a S8300 required when the SLS is active, the reason I ask is because I found a document and it say I don't.

Cost effective survivability for price sensitive customers: – No need to add S8300 LSP module with basic gateway structure

Thanks

Correct, you don't need an LSP in order to use SLS. If the gateway loses registration to CM then SLS will become active. It's a little funny/interesting to program and has some limitations. I remember that I couldn't use 9 for dialing out, I had to make it *8 or something.

Your time figuring it out is worth more than a S8300 or a crappy laptop with ESXi

The SLS is the 'cheap' version of an S8300 with a CM installed in LSP mode. Like kyle555 said, it's not worth your time figuring out and maintaining.

Thanks! but it's a question that came up in the Avaya Calling exam.

For example, if you have a mix of 10 g430 and g450 gateways they all register to an S8300. If your S8300 becomes unavailable to any of them those gateways will look for an S8300 LSP. If there is no LSP they finally run in SLS mode. Of course you have to confige SLS properly on each gateway with CLI. Gateways only support h323 phones in SLS.

SLS also supports analog. It's actually worth learning the programming if you have more than a few small sites using g430 and g450 gateways.

SLS requires you to program all the configurations into the gateway manually, it doesn't pickup anything from the main core. All MACD work needs to be accounted for in the SLS config as well, if it is changed in the core.

This is especially important for being able to have a phone active and dial 911 in SLS mode.

- Stinney

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” - Confucius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back