Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foxpro under Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilltek

Programmer
Mar 8, 2001
PH
Was there ever a Foxpro for Unix or Linux?
Is it posible to run FPD apps under Linux?
Ken F.

Hi Ken,

I have several clients working on Linux File server. And it works like a song. :)
These are working so perfectly with no server down time for couple of years.. that I find it a problem to convince them to upgrade to VFP based solutions. VFP can also work in the same way.. The point is that .. once the FPD is correctly coded with no bug.. and the File server also working without a crash.. no one is inclined to upgrade.

The same FPD version works with linux and there is no separate version for that platform. No need to change anything in the already compiled application. It all stays with linus file server installation.. just as you do to Novel network. :)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year [bigears] [party] [2thumbsup]

Thanks for the fast reply Ramani. Are you saying I can compile a FPD app or exe on a dos box and that app or exe will run on a Linux box? Any Linux?
Ken F

Hi

Yes.. You can transfer an existing earlier compiled FPD executable to linux without any trouble. I have tried the following,... CORAL Linux.. RedHat 5, RedHat 6 and RrdHat 7. I have users on these versions. I have tried on coule of other evrsions.. with success.. but stayed with REDHAT for reasons of my convenience in quickly understanding their graphical/text approch for installation.

:) ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year [bigears] [party] [2thumbsup]

There was a FPU (FoxPro for Unix), it was one of the four cross-platform versions of FoxPro 2.5/2.6. Dennis Allen ( has done a lot of work getting FPU to work under Linux, check his site for more information.

Rick

Ramani:

Your applications use Novell's Transactional Tracking System (TTS) ?

Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back