Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed IP address? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnidtheDog

Technical User
May 1, 2001
GB
Hi - a really basic q, but I am getting mixed info...

Is it possible to run exchange on a network that does not have a permanently assigned IP address?

We have a v small network and connect to an ISP vis a Modem Router. I would like to sertup shared folders so we can eaily share emails. The only way I can find is to use Exchange and Outlook - but I believe this may require registering a permanent IP address.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

We are evaluating E2K on a small network with modem dial-up access. It appears to handle email OK without a fixed IP address. Our problem is that E2K does not seem to issue a custom command to collect email. So how do we collect from a POP3 Mailbox?

Good question!

I think I am going back to Mdaemon. It is much simpler, cheaper, it works, and supports Multi-Pop mail collection to collect mail from a number of pop accounts.

It works OK on mine. Our domain is hosted by the ISP, so they have the fixed IP address, we just dial them up. We pick up all mail for our domain (wrong addresses included) and use the excahnge box to distribute them.

I think you are correct that Exchange/Outlook (or an equivalent 'heavyweight' application) is the best, if not the only way to distribute mail to more than one person.

Allan - Automatic collection of email also depends on your ISP. You both need to use ETRN - you can easily configure your Excahnge box, just check with your ISP that they are suitably configured as well.

Otherwise, have you tried using AT to ping your POP3 server from time to time? This might solve it, although if you could say what you've already tried, there is probably a better answer.

To collect pop3 from ISP in e2k consider using a small app such as pop beamer. Does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back